Appointed Supervisor are responsible:
There are 3 stages of Supervisor responsibilities
- Facilitate appropriate access to the other supervisors (if any) and any other relevant members of staff deemed necessary for the successful completion of the study.
- Ensure the student participates in programs conducted by the Faculty or University to implement the Code of Practice for Postgraduate Students and regulations.
- Ensure adequate resources and equipment for the student for research purposes are available at the Faculty/Centre and facilitate access to other facilities as required.
- Advise/suggest to the Faculty/Centre, qualified examiners for his/her student’s thesis.
- Ensure that the co-supervisors are actively involved in the supervision process so that they are able to take over primary supervision duties either temporarily or permanently (if appropriate) when the Main Supervisor is unavailable.
- Create a conducive learning environment that protects the student’s individuality, safety and sense of comfort and belonging.
- Discuss and co-sign the student supervisor agreement with his/her student confirming the understanding of roles and responsibilities stipulated in this Code of Good Practice before exceeding 3months.
During VIVA VOCE procedure:
- Always keep in touch with students through ordinary supervision or conference meetings. Supervisor should also propose alternative measurements for the student to perform an outside job/research.
- Spare some time for students who need extra academic advice or personal matters.
- Ensuring their students are well-versed in UMP’s rules and regulations.
- Give them guidance about the mode and quality of their expected research outcome. This includes concluding the research proposal, literature review and all necessaries aspects and techniques required.
- Encourage students to be alert of the information related to their program and to the subject registration every semester. This will avoid any problems.
- Giving them the detailed info about the date of every stage of their research so that they can submit according with the expected date.
- Manage the schedule for your student to attend the conference.
- Examine your student’s paper work and giving them guidance and information for them to make some amendments within the period given.
- Prepare and send the students’ progress report to Centre for Graduate Studies within the scheduled time.
- Encourage and help students to publish their research outcome.
- Ensure your students follow all the lab safety requirements before using the materials or machines in the lab.
- Propose the list of examiners for the thesis evaluation.
- Examine and ensuring all theses are ready and well prepared before submitting to oral examination (Viva Voce).
After VIVA VOCE procedure:
- Supervisors should attend the process during their students’ examination (Please notify if unable to attend).
- Supervisor should be prepared to receive calls from the examiner throughout the process.
- Ensure the students understand and follow all the amendments proposed by the examiner.
- Examine the thesis before resending to the examiner.
- Guide and help the students to complete their thesis for re-examination (VIVA VOCE) procedure (if necessary)
Supervisor and Research Student are advice to read and understand the contents of the guideline so that you are clear with the policy.
Please be informed that UMP library has subscribed anti plagiarism tool “Turn it in”. To familiarize user with the tool, the UMP library will schedule user education classes.Lecturers are highly recommended to attend the scheduled hands-on tutorial class as you will be exposed to the set up process, Originality Check, Grade mark, Peer mark, and Course management. More information about the tool please clicks the following URL: http://turnitin.com/en_us/training/instructor-training