Viva Voce Process
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION FOR VIVA VOCE PROCESS
1. I intend to submit my thesis soon. What is the first thing I need to do?
The student are required to submit Notice of Thesis Submission on IPS Online, at least three (3) months before you submit the draft thesis to the IPS.
2. What should I do if I failed to submit the draft thesis to IPS after three (3) months from the Notice of Thesis Submission?
The student have to submit a written application endorsed by the main supervisor requesting for an extension of the notice of submission of the thesis to IPS.
3. Am I compulsory to attend the pre-viva process?
Yes, you are. The pre-viva process is fully conducted by the student’s faculty.
4. Do I need to look at the regulations?
The student have to refer to the Rules and Guidelines for Postgraduate by Research manual or can refer to the IPS Portal.
5. What is the correct format of the thesis?
Student can refer to the Thesis Guide for Postgraduate manual and the latest version of the thesis template (UMP Thesis Template) which can be download at IPS Portal.
6. What forms do I need to complete before draft thesis submission?
A Student has to complete few documents as following:
i. Draft Thesis Submission Form (Form UMP (IPS) RE-01 (from Faculty only).
ii. Plagiarism Checker Report (Similarity Index <25%)
iii. Pre-Viva Evaluation Form UMP (IPS) PV-01
iv. Proof of publication Form UMP (IPS) A-06 together with the printed copies of the publication along with UMPIR code.
7. Can I submit the draft thesis without my faculty’s dean agreement?
A Student has to get the approval from the Deputy Dean of Research of the faculty before the draft thesis submission.
8. Do I need to find my own examiners?
Supervisor will suggest the examiner’s name to the faculty. Then, faculty will endorse the suggested examiner’s name to IPS.
9. How many copies of the draft thesis that I need to submit to the Institute Of Postgraduate Studies for viva?
i. 6 copies of draft thesis for Master student
ii. 7 copies of draft thesis for PhD student
10. Where do I submit my copies of the draft thesis?
You have to submit the copies of the draft thesis to the IPS Office after your name has been approved in the system by your faculty.
11. What does the preparation that I need to do for the viva voce?
The Student need to prepare a presentation using the PowerPoint slide and also can have a final discussion with the supervisor regarding the viva voce itself.
12. What sort of ambience can I expect in the viva voce examination?
It is the examination ambience. It is depends on the individual examiners approach which is sometimes the atmosphere tends to be formal or informal. Prepare well and expect either.
13. What is the viva voce process – what can I expect?
Usually, the viva voce starts with the thesis presentation, followed with the question and answer session from the examiners.
14. How long will I be given to carry out corrections/amendments after viva-voce session?
The period given for the corrections/amendments is depending on what scale that the student obtains:
Scale Description Correction Period
Scale 1 Pass without correction Max three (3) months
Scale 2 Pass with minor corrections Max. six (6) month
Scale 3 Pass with major corrections Max. nine (9) months
Scale 4 Re-examination (RE-viva) Max. twelve (12) months
15. Can I submit my corrections via email/ send directly to the examiners?
Yes, you can. But first, you have to inform and get an approval from the IPS (viva unit) before send/e-mail the corrections to the examiners directly enclosed with Endorsement of Correction Form (Viva-Voce), IPS RE-05A and IPS Re-05B (All forms can be downloaded from the IPS website).
16. For the hardbound thesis submission, how many copies that I need to submit?
A student required to submit three (3) hardbound copies of the thesis to IPS. In the same time, the student is required to upload the final thesis in PDF format to IPS online.